Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Loss of Innocence...

So we all know that we loose our innocence - at least most of it - on the path to adulthood. Well I think the process starts at about 3 1/2 years of age. A while back Oscar & I were having a conversation about the difference between fish (grilled, steamed, etc) and fishy (swimming happily in the water). I tried to tell him they were the same & he insisted that, "no we eat FISH, those (pointing to a live fish) are fishy." I'm sorry to say that this morning I think he started to connect the dots. I was reading Food Day & on the back page was a large color photo of a roaster - chicken all brown & ready to eat. Calvin, points & grunts... uhhhh. I say, "yes Calvin that is a chicken." Oscar stops what he is doing, turns & looks at the photo and pauses. Then he says, "did you say chicken, like bock bock chicken?" Yes I say. Long silence. Then he turns away & quietly returns to his play. Poor kid.

No comments: